Wednesday, January 7, 2009

RECYCLING CENTER ISSUES

The Informer has received the following email from a concerned Winchester citizen in regards to a problem they observed at the Town recycling center due to lack of employee attention.

I have been to the dump on Saturday and today. I thought that we were supposed to be recycling. Both days the attendant was in the shed and people unloaded any kind of rubbish from pickup trucks and put it into the container. On Saturday , my husband asked about why trash was not separated and did not get a satisfactory answer. I wonder how many citizens are doing this with no regard to the cost to the town. Perhaps you could ask the select people why they are not monitoring this situation as it is costing us money.



Thanks for your help.


This person is absolutely right. By not properly disposing of your trash, it costs us all more money when these containers have to be gone through by the disposal company to remove recyclables that were thrown into them instead of the proper bins the town supplies just for this purpose. Are we just too lazy to do this or is it a case of lack of supervision by the center's employees and an attitude of "I just don't care " by those who circumvent the centers spirit of recycling? In any case this is a matter that needs to be addressed by the BOS and anyone who sees this happening should report the person doing this by simply taking down a plate number and making a complaint at Town Hall ..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed this myself. What I think I have seen is people collecting trash for profit then bringing it to the transfer station and throwing it all in the crusher. I beleive this to be a profit business because of the large amount of trash in the big truck they bring.n Something else I hate is I will sit in my truck and wait in line for my turn at the crusher when the dump is busy but get agrevated with people behind me walking past my truck and throwing there trash in the crusher making me wait even longer for my turn as the crusher cycles.last but not least when you have something large to get rid of the guys seem to pull a price from the sky, It never matches what the town says the item should cost and I myself and others usually pay cash, where does that cash go at the end of the day????
I have been saying for years we need to take the transfer station over instead of letting a private for profit company run it

Anonymous said...

While we are on the subject of the Winchester transfer station, why not mention that the 'attendants' of this facility charge these incredible fee's with no accountability of where the money goes? They are cash transactions, with mo documentation of how much was received, for what, and who gets the money.
I'll tell you who gets the money. The attendants. What a scam!!!
It'll cost you $30 to drop that mattress off sir...,
THATS B.S.!

Anonymous said...

I get sick of the nails and screws i Carry out of there in my tires. I think most people realize how good we have it, and recycle, but your correct about the bigger vehicles. May not be a good idea for the town to run it, look around and see how they run everything else.

Anonymous said...

I think the "pay as you throw" by the bag was the way the town should have gone. Buying the bags from the town would have saved us thousands of property dollars that go toward the the contracting of the recycling center. This would have made the residents of Richmond pay a more fare share of the cost. It would have forced people to recycle. Right Ted Whippie?

Now People show up with truck loads of unsorted trash every time you visit the place.. These people pay the same $20.00 for a permit to Honest John Gomarlo. How many people are not paying the $20.00 for the permit? No one is watching!!! You know Honest John isn't, he is setting some place warm these cold days. Isn't it part of Honest John's job description?

I am shocked Sherm Tedford didn't try and place it on the Warrants again.

Anonymous said...

trash shouldnt be so hard........

FedUp2 said...

I always wondered why they can't account for the cash they collect.

It would be very simple to start a program where they have to give you $ vouchers (like the rolls they use for raffle tickets) for each dollar you give them. At the end of the day, if there is $150 in dollar vouchers gone, they should have $150 in cash to turn over.