Thursday, November 1, 2012

Enschede fireworks disaster


The neighborhood of Roombeek on fire
The Enschede fireworks disaster was a catastrophic fireworks explosion occurring at the SE Fireworks depot on 13 May 2000, in the eastern Dutch city of Enschede.
The fire led to an enormous explosion which killed 23 people (including four firemen) and injured 947.[1] The first explosion had a strength in the order of 800 kg TNT equivalence, while the strength of the final explosion was within the range of 4000-5000 kg TNT.[2] The biggest blast was felt up to 30 kilometres (19 mi) from the scene.
SE Fireworks was a major importer of fireworks from China and supplier to pop concerts and major festive events in the Netherlands. Prior to the disaster it had a good safety record and met all safety audits.[3]


From: Larry Holmes <monadnockenterprise@yahoo.com>
To: "msharra@winchester.nh.gov" <msharra@winchester.nh.gov>
Cc: "swalker@winchester.nh.gov" <swalker@winchester.nh.gov>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:49 AM
Subject:


To the Winchester Selectmen, Planning, Zoning, Code Enforcement and Building Department:
Oct. 30, 2012
 
As the abutter of Lenny Lawrence and his plans to store nine tractor trailer loads of fireworks on his property that abuts mine I have to stress my concerns over safety and security issues and what would be done to address these....
 
In addition to increased truck traffic and noise I am worrisome for the safety of my family, our animals and my property.
 
I would ask that if they are permitted to store the explosives on their property that they do so at a minimum of 1000 feet from my land and that they have safety and security measures in place. If they were to store them down at their sand pits and have a plan for fire in place it would be acceptable to me.... I would also like to move forward with asking the towns permission to rezone my property for commercial use as I am now surrounded by commercial enterprise and constant trucks, traffic and noise from Plum Pak, Lawrence Excavating and the newly rezoned sand pits.
 
I had planned on submitting a site plan for senior citizen housing before the end of the year in the area next to Fairgrounds road and will still do so if I cannot get my property rezoned for commercial use. I think that it would be good for the town and our neighborhood. As I have said from day one "I have no problem with working with anyone; but everyone should be treated the same".
 
Please pass the link below on to everyone to view as it is a video of a fireworks explosion accident that occurred in 2000 killing 23 people; As you can see it is a serious concern...
 
 
Regards,
 
Abutter
 
207 Kent Street LLC
YouTube - Videos from this email

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a BRILLIANT idea!!!
More Senior housing. Are you running for Selectmen's office again to?
Something with a strong tax base would be prudent, don't you think? Section 8 checks from the state are much more secure form of revenue for you though, I suppose. Lets go out on a limb here and maybe give some thought to a venture that cut the tax burden on the people struggling to save their homes,.... Holmes. You have tried and failed...multiple times, section 8 is where it's at. Bring on some more elderly and low income housing. I can see you spend hours late into the night thinking creatively. Fireworks storage and elderly housing on the same block. Pure F'N genius!!!!